Okay…so you have an issue with your child’s teacher. What are you going to do?
I’ve been on both sides of the desk. Most parents are reasonable and so are most teachers. Usually issues can be resolved amicably.
One mom told me her daughter said she was going to have to go to summer school because she wasn’t reading out of a particular book. The child was so distraught she didn’t want to go to school. Thankfully the mom spoke with the instructor. As it turned out, the child completely misunderstood what the teacher had said. Thankfully the issue was cleared up fairly quickly and the child’s fears were put to rest.
Sometimes the problem is only a misunderstanding. It’s wise not to draw a conclusion only from what your child tells you.
Take the time to investigate the concern. Get all the facts.
If you have an issue with your child’s teacher here are some ways to get to the solution side of the problem.
1. Pray. Ask God to give you clarity, calm, and grace in the situation.
2. Set up a meeting time as soon as possible. Don’t make an angry call or send an emotional e-mail or note. Give yourself enough time to cool down but try to deal with the issue as soon as possible.
3. Remember most teachers are in the education business because they care about kids-including yours. Starting at the place of agreement is the very best place to begin.
4. Be respectful. Describe your point of view using an even tone and in a reasonable, mature, and calm manner. Then listen to the educator’s response.
5. Ask what has been done so far and how you can be part of the solution. This shows a willingness and commitment on your part to help resolve whatever the concern may be.
By acting as if you are on the same team as your child’s teacher you will be more likely to resolve the problem. Parents love their kids fiercely but kids aren’t perfect. The teacher just may have some valuable insight.
A fool gives full vent to his anger.
What types of challenging situations have you faced? What advice would offer another parent?
I just found out my friend and fellow M.O.M. Initiative team member, Rachel Wojnarowski,
is offering a free e-book on prayer called, The Sensational Scent of Prayer. You can get it on Amazon Monday, September 3rd and Tuesday, Sept. 4th! You will be blessed. -Lori