Did you know the Bible is always a best seller, the best seller? It is the single most published book with 150,000 copies sold EACH year! And it comes in 1200 languages. It’s truth withstands the test of ANY scientific discovery.
So…what is the Bible? What would you say to someone who really didn’t know? Here are some bullet points that might be helpful:
- The Bible is the inspired and true word of God written by men. (if God could create the world, authoring a book is small potatoes.) It is God’s love letter to us! God wants to be known.
- It is one large book with 66 smaller books contained in it.
- All 66 books have a common theme running through them (Pretty amazing huh? Do you have 66 books with a common theme on your book shelves? Okay, 25? How about even ten books with a different authors?) In the 66 books of the Bible, the main character is God and the theme is God’s plan of redemption for His people. His story is one great narrative of creation, the fall, redemption, and restoration.
- Of those 66 books, there are 40 authors. The authors come from different walks of life: soldiers, kings, scholars, prisoners, and fishermen.
- There are various types of writing styles and purposes for each of the books, depending on how God used each author: Historical narrative, poetry, prophecy, and instruction are all contained in this one book.
- There are a many different published versions. The three most popular are The NIV ( New International Version, a thought for thought translation), The New American Standard (word for word), and the Message (a paraphrased version).
- The Bible, in its entirety, was written over a span of approximately 1500 years. The Bible is divided into two large sections: The Old Testament and The New Testament. The word testament means promise or covenant.There are 39 OT books and 27 NT books. The Old Testament supports the New Testament and the New supports the Old. God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
author, speaker, licensed parent and family educator
© LoriWildenberg. All rights reserved.
About the Author
Lori Wildenberg is a licensed parent and family educator, parent coach, and co-founder of 1Corinthians13 Parenting.com. She has written 6 books including Messy Journey: How Grace and Truth Offer the Prodigal a Way Home; The Messy Life of Parenting: Powerful and Practical Ways to Strengthen Family Connections; and her most recent book, Messy Hope: Help Your Child Overcome Anxiety, Depression, or Suicidal Ideation. Contact Lori for your next event or for parent consulting or parent training courses. Lori can also be found mentoring over at the MOMS Together Group on Facebook.